Merge Games together with developers, Ian Atherton & Ben Rog-Wilhelm, is proud to announce the imminent release of Crimson Keep, a rogue-like, first-person, action RPG. The game is set to launch into Steam Early Access on this Winter with a full release scheduled for late Q1 2018.
Seattle-based game designer and artist, Ian Atherton, came up with the idea for Crimson Keep having spent much of his childhood playing games such as Hexen, Diablo, and Everquest. The team also includes the coding skills of Ben Rog-Wilhelm and musical talents of Matt Oglesby. Development started in September 2015 using the Unity Engine and Crimson Keep received its first public outing at PAX West in September 2017.
Thirty years ago, a curse destroyed the entire village of Larkstead. Banished to the dungeons below, your only hope is to explore, scavenge, and fight for survival. Will you find the mysterious Crimson Keep? Will you escape this terrible place? Or will you be food for the innumerable beasts and horrors that lurk in the depths below?
Crimson Keep’s a game about exploration, combat and survival. The team have combined RPG progression, rogue-like gameplay and first-person action to make something very rewarding and fun. Descend into an ever-changing labyrinth full of monsters, traps, and treasure. Locate the sunken remains of an ancient castle and cleanse it. The great power you find within could be your only hope of escape. Every drop of XP, every piece of loot, and every bit of damage you take could determine whether you survive, or succumb to The Keep’s dark power. You will die… often.
- Procedural Dungeon layouts
- Weapons, equipment, potions, scrolls
- Traps, shrines
- Weapons with different speeds, damage arcs, ranges.
- Many abilities to choose from, useful for different combat situations.
- Enemies that require special strategies such as hitting them in their weak point.
- Condense the enjoyment of an MMO’s 1-60 grind into about an hour.
- Frequently earn levels, new abilities, and new equipment, that empower the player.
- Incremental progression that is helpful, but not completely necessary to beat the game.
- Each run should take 50 to 90 minutes to complete.
- With every victory new floors, enemies, classes, and bosses will be unlocked.
Hardcore Roguelike Elements
- Cursed items
Crimson Keep is set for a PC Steam Early Access release soon. It will carry a price tag of $14.99.
Check out the game’s Steam page here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/632110/