Independent developer and publisher, Eastasiasoft Limited, alongside development partner, Artax Games, today released its retro-inspired vertical-scrolling shmup Iro Hero on the Nintendo Switch eShop in North America for $12.99, with a 30% discount available for its first two weeks on sale.
Iro Hero combines the old school, pixelated charm of 80s arcade shooters with the complex, high-octane action of a modern bullet hell shmup. Combining complex enemy AI, polarity mechanics, and light puzzle elements, Iro Hero unleashes mind-melting mayhem on the Nintendo Switch! Players will have to shift polarities to avoid color-coded hazards, balance an array of unlockable skills, and make use of reflective surfaces and color areas if they’re to make it through Iro Hero‘s 9 action-packed stages intact.
Set in the year 2306, Iro Hero opens a century after humans learned how to harness their energy to produce electricity. Over the years nefarious enterprises have turned this gift into a curse, with humans being treated as little more than batteries. Following the death of his mother, a teenager named Iro learns that he may be the key to mankind’s freedom.
Iro Hero presents one of the most challenging shmups available on the Switch, though there are four game modes offering varying degrees of difficulty.
- Arcade: The original vision for the game. No continues, but you can exchange some of your points for lives at the end of each level.
- Normal: A more accessible challenge. In addition to the possibility of exchanging points for lives, you also have 3 credits to continue the match from the same level you died.
- Story: The easiest mode. Once you finish a level, the next level gets unlocked and you can henceforth start the game from there.
- 1CC: The hardest challenge for the most hardcore players. No possibility of buying ships and no continues.
- A four-color polarity system, emphasizing risk vs reward gameplay where you charge up your powers in matching colors.
- Discover an exciting story that takes place across 9 action-packed levels.
- Encounter 10 different types of enemies with more than one hundred different behaviors.
- Defeat 10 final bosses in the vein of classic arcades.
- Unlock special skills, offering many creative and strategic options.
- Acquire upgrades to increase the firepower and capabilities of your spaceship.
- Rise to the top of the online leaderboards.